We left Paris REALLY early this morning! Like, before 7am, I'd just like to say it was not my doing, nor is it my idea of a holiday, but when costs & time in other countries comes into the mix, these things must be done.
We managed to make good time in getting to the train station so we sat and had pastries, coffee & hot chocolate for breakfast. I bought it all, so I was in charge of the ordering while the family lazed about watching others scramble to their trains. The attendant did not speak English, so I was forced to order in French. Fortunately, I managed to order it all and not get anything I *didn't* order. I can read the words all fine, but the pronounciation is the killer. Chausson aux pommes is more like "shasso' oh pom" and chocolate chaud is something akin to "shocola' sho". Very intimidating!! I wouldn't say he was overly 'nice' about the whole ordeal, but he wasn't unkind and he was patient. I felt very virtuous and proud of my small accomplishment. Even if it was on the last morning in Paris!
It was a six hour train trip and it was the loveliest. Germany has the most beautiful countryside I've seen thus far. It's just amazing. Pink houses, yellow houses, white houses, blue houses, each little town with a steeple letting you know where the heart of it lies. The towns are small, a set of cross streets lined with houses with big yards and stores, a few hundred metres more and you would miss it.
The sky got clearer and the air cooler but the sheer beauty of the place is simply breath taking.
This is also the first time I saw dad get visibly excited about the trip. FINALLY. *smiles*
Our hotel is no where near the city centre but it's only a short walk to the train station which is SO simple to use. We went to Haufenbräu Haus for dinner, my tummy had gotten used to smaller, lighter meals so it didn't handle the large steak & potatoes followed by apfel strudel too well. =S BUT it tasted divine and the atmosphere of the place was awesome!
We wandered the streets and I think we were in the up market area, so shopping was out of the question. However they did have an olde worlde area with stalls of old fashioned items. I'm talking real furs (fox feet still attached), wax seals, feather quills, felted bags - all that middle ages type stuff you'd see in a Robin Hood movie. It was brilliant!
The weather here is twice as cold, so I shall wear a few more layers tomorrow, it will be a top of 4 degrees!! EEP!
I feel like I am missing the real eel of the places in these posts, just sticking to the bare facts, but there are things I just can't capture in words, or they're more subconscious so I don't think to include them (like my obsession with the doors in these countries. They have some of the most ornate, large, unique doors I've seen in my life!). A lot of things I just forget to mention until after I've posted. At least I have the photos to help me remember. I have so many more to upload but I think I shall wait til I am home.
Germany was not my most ideal place to visit, and there isn't a whole lot here that interests me. I think this means mother and I get to go shopping while the boys look at cars & football & bier. And that's just fine by me! :)
After getting some amulgel/voltaren gel and wearing better shoes mz ankle is no longer causing me as much grief, or sleepless nights. Thank goodness for physios who will take the time out of their free time to work some more.
<3 to your mother.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment